Friday, April 15, 2011

Tidbit #19 - April 15, 2011

Oh no! I missed a day!

Well, the good news is, I'll be more than compensating for it: I'll be posting not one, not two, but three tidbits today. How cool is that???

Okay, let's get started:

Have you ever heard anyone use the expression "I got laid last night!"? Did you promptly become angry at that person for describing it so blatantly? Well, you shouldn't have, because most people, although imbued with the knowledge that that expression means having sex, don't know where the term came from and how it was coined.

Question: Why is it called getting laid?


Answer: There are a few possible reasons. I couldn't find the first reason online, but my stepdad (a historian) told me about the first one:

  1. It is said that the term was coined in the early days of the famous (or infamous, rather) Chicago Everlay Club, in which people would.. do their business.. and come out saying that they got "layed," since the club was famous for that. Eventually, the spelling changed, but the name stuck.
  2. Someone on lunaticoutpost.com thinks they know the answer, and I think they might be on to something: "it's hard to have sex standing up"
So, as a condensed answer, what do we have?

Getting laid could have been coined due to either the reputation of the Chicago Everlay Club or the positioning of intercourse when it happens (in most cases).

No comments:

Post a Comment